The girl traveling alone - in Kyoto

I intended to post this article a long time ago but I couldn't find the motivation.

Anyway, a bit more than a year ago I quit my first job in Japan and went for a one week trip. One of the purposes of this trip was to visit a friend who lived in Nagoya, so, once she said I could stay over at her place, I organized the trip around this date.

As for the original plan, I was supposed to go with a friend in Kyoto and stay two nights with him before he had to come back to Tokyo. After that, I wanted to switch hotel for a third night by myself (and find time to stop by Nara). Then, I wanted to go to Osaka for one or two nights where I would be alone before heading to meet my friend in Nagoya.
My friend ended up cancelling on me for business reasons - and I'm still a bit mad about it, but the plan remained intact, I just changed my booking for the first two days.

I traveled around the end of June, which is the rainy season - well, for being there two years during the rainy season, I truly think that it doesn't have much of an effect on Tokyo. I remember that it was raining pretty hard when I arrived in Kyoto and thus, I just wandered in the station, looking for a restaurant.

The guest house I was staying in had rental bicycles so everything that could be done by bicycle was done by bicycle !



First, the Yasaka Shrine which is located in the Gion area. It has a very nice garden as well.



 Arashiyama, which is mostly known for its bamboo forest. I love nature so it was definitely one of my favorite places in Kyoto! As I said, I went around the end of June, so it the tourist season had already started. If you can go at a time when there are less tourists, I would highly recommend to do so.
 The Kinkakuji, the top two stories are covered with pure gold leaves! I remember it was kind of a hassle to get there and I ended up being underwhelmed...

This somehow looks shabby in photo but it was one of my favorite things in Kyoto! The river banks seem out of another time and you end up daydreaming about life some décades ago.

The Kiyomizu-dera. At the time when I said to my Japanese friends that I went or was going to Kyoto, they all asked me "will you visit the Kiyomizu-dera?", so it seems that it is a very appreciated place by Japanese people. It is indeed a nice place but it wasn't my favorite.

As far as my favorites go it is definitely Arashiyama and the Fushimi Inari Shrine with its 1000 toris (no picture sorry).

Also, as mentionned I planned to change hotel on the 3rd night. The initial reason was that my friend was supposed to be with me the first two nights, so I would have had to change to a single room. But the hidden reason was that I really wanted to try a capsule hotel.
I tried the First Cabin hotel and if you want to try the capsule experience but are afraid it would way too cramped, I recommend it. It is small, I won't lie, but as far as capsule go, it is really spacious!

Commentaires